Friday, August 6, 2010

30 -  Wed, 14 Jul 2010

Ram,

Regarding currency tracking -- it is different from tracking people. Already every credit / debit card transaction is tracked. In a corrupt society like India, what is wrong in tracking currency?

Regarding Aadhaar -- I don't know if there are flaws in its implementation, but as of now I do not see a flaw in its fundamental principle, which is that if a person expects govt subsidies or other rights, he should be willing to be positively identified for that (without compromising his identity otherwise).

Regarding software flaws: already we have operational national databases even in India, such as the railway reservation system, internet banking, etc. Regarding collaboration with LIC and SBI: that may be to provide people who are currently outside the system with bank accounts and life insurance policies, I am not sure. But, reading the document on the Aadhaar website gives me the confidence that they have thought through things carefully.

I would suggest splitting the debate into two components:
(i) is the fundamental principle behind Aadhaar valid?
(ii) if so, are there flaws in the implementation?

If the latter is the case, this is an opportunity for the large IIT community to help in the design of Aadhaar, perhaps akin to the open-source movement. This is an opportunity for technology and technologists to tackle corruption from their home turf.

- Anonymous - Name with held on request